Start here for THE BASICS:
- Josh Funk’s website:
Guide to Writing Picture Books (12 lessons with wonderful details and links)
- Harold Underdown’s website:
Getting Started: The Basics of Children’s Writing and Illustrating
- SCBWI’s website (an international writer/illustrator organization):
Frequently Asked Questions (with four subsections)
Read these INSTRUCTIONAL WRITING BOOKS!
Seriously, so helpful!
- Picture books– My favorite is Linda Ashman’s
THE NUTS AND BOLTS GUIDE TO WRITING PICTURE BOOKS.
- Publishing– Harold Underdown’s
THE COMPLETE IDIOT’S GUIDE TO PUBLISHING CHILDREN’S BOOKS
- Plot– Jeffrey Alan Schechter’s MY STORY CAN BEAT UP YOUR STORY is a unique screenwriting primer that easily relates to middle-grade and sometimes picture books.
- Plot (Master’s Level)– Robert McKee’s STORY
is a deep dive into story structure, substance, and style. It highlights screenwriting but is relevant to all writing.
Read, Watch, and Listen to AUTHOR/ILLUSTRATOR INTERVIEWS:
- Explore your favorite Authors’/Illustrators’ Websites (here are some of mine)
- Discover wonderful children’s book Podcasts (here are a few favorites of mine)
- Travis Jonker and Colby Sharp’s THE YARN
- Elizabeth Bird’s (and sis) FUSE 8 n’ KATE
- Nick Patton’s PICTUREBOOKING
- Youtube search for your favorite creators (here are some of mine)
Attend an MFA Graduate Program:
- I’m immensely grateful for my time at Chatham University,
where I earned my Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing for Children.
- I’ve had a few writing friends say good things about the Vermont College program.
“Welcome to Kidlit411, your one stop information shop for children’s writers and illustrators.”
Meet other writers/illustrators:
Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
The international professional organization for writers and illustrators of children’s literature. www.scbwi.org