A few helpful links for those new
to writing or publishing children’s books.
(More illustation related links may or may not be added soon.)
Start here for THE BASICS:
- Harold Underdown’s website:
- SCBWI’s website (an international writer/illustrator organization):
- A summary page about general writing topics with great links:
(Thanks, Anne, for sharing this one with me!)
Read these INSTRUCTIONAL WRITING BOOKS!
Seriously, so helpful!
- Picture books– My favorite is Linda Ashman’s THE NUTS AND BOLTS GUIDE TO WRITING PICTURE BOOKS.
- Publishing– Harold Underdown’s THE COMPLETE IDIOT’S GUIDE TO PUBLISHING CHILDREN’S BOOKS
- Plot– Jeffrey Alan Schechter’s MY STORY CAN BEAT UP YOUR STORY is a unique screenwriting primer that easily relates to middle-grade and sometimes picture books.
Attend an MFA:
- I’m immensely grateful for my time at Chatham University,
where I earned my Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing for Children.
Check out this treasure trove of info:
“Welcome to Kidlit411, your one stop information shop
for children’s writers and illustrators.”
Meet other writers/illustrators:
Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
The international professional organization for writers and illustrators of children’s literature. www.scbwi.org